- For the cheesecake base
- 5 ounces finely ground Graham crackers
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- For the cheesecake
- 5 ounces x 8 of cream cheese, softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Finely grated zest of 1 large orange
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 5 large organic eggs
- 2 large organic egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 550°F.
- To make the New York cheesecake base, mix the ingredients together and press down in spring form pan and then chill for at least two hours.
- To make the cheesecake, beat together cream cheese, sugar, flour, and zests gently. Add eggs and yolks, one at a time. Do not add anything more until the one egg has been slowly and thoroughly incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl well between additions. Add the vanilla essence.
- Put spring form pan with crust in a shallow dish and add boiling water to act as a bain marie, which helps to stop the cheesecake from cracking.
- Pour filling into crust and bake in the water bath in the middle of oven for 12 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 200°F and continue baking until cake is mostly firm but still wet and wobbly. Depending on your oven it should take about an hour. Cool in the oven and then overnight in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving and garnish with fresh fruit or serve as it is.