- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3 cups finely grated carrots
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 cup walnuts, shelled (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour pan. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla bean paste. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Slowly add to wet mixture until fully combined. Do not overmix. Stir in carrots.
- Pour half of batter into prepared pan, about 2/3 full for each cake. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in pan and invert cakes onto a cooling rack. Wash and prepare pan again. Repeat with remaining batter.
- For frosting: In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Place a dollop of frosting on each cake or use a pastry bag to pipe out frosting.
- Place walnuts in a plastic bag. Use a rolling pin to pulverize them into dust. Sprinkle on top of buttercream.