In this article, we will tell you about a very powerful natural product, the effectiveness of which has been proven by modern scientific research. We are talking about pumpkin seed oil, which in Austria is called “black gold” for its excellent taste. But the main “gold” of this oil lies in a large number of phytosterols, which help a man get rid of prostatitis, prostate adenoma, and baldness.
Now let’s talk about this in more detail, as well as why pumpkin seed oil is good for the heart and bladder. All will be confirmed by scientific research, but first, a little history.
Forgotten medicine of Austrian doctors
For the first time, pumpkin seed oil was used as a medicine in Austria at the beginning of the 18th century.
The country’s authorities even banned its use in cooking, since it was a scarce and very expensive product. Austrian doctors prescribed pumpkin seed oil for burns, inflammations, and wound healing, and women used it as a rejuvenating compound.
And in the last 40 years, there has been a widespread interest in the healing substance. And the latest scientific research not only confirms the correctness of the old Austrian doctors but also finds new properties of this unique product.
Pumpkin seed oil prevents hair loss
Let’s turn to scientific research right away. The authoritative medical journal Hindawi published a 2014 study in which 76 men with mild to moderate hair loss received 400 mg of pumpkin seed oil per day for 2 years.
The results were amazing – on average, the number of subjects’ hair increased by 40%.
It’s all about the high concentration of phytosterols, structural components of the cell membrane of pumpkin seeds. It is they who have the healing effect of pumpkin seed oil.
Phytosterols are found only in plants. In mammalian cells, cholesterol plays this role.
Pumpkin seed oil and prostate adenoma
The action of pumpkin seed oil phytosterols is even more effective in eliminating problems with the prostate, which fundamentally spoils the life of men who have crossed the threshold of 40 years.
Pumpkin seed oil eliminates inflammation, improves blood circulation in the prostate gland, and initiates the process of its contraction. With regular intake of pumpkin seed oil, the symptoms of adenoma quickly disappear.
And that’s why it happens. It is known for certain that the proliferation of prostate tissue in older men occurs due to the fact that testosterone, entering the gland, under the action of the enzyme 5-alpha reductase, is converted into its active form – dihydrotestosterone.
In turn, dihydrotestosterone has a powerful effect on the prostate tissue, provoking its proliferation.
Getting into the prostate with the bloodstream, pumpkin seed oil phytosterols have two important effects:
- stop the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone;
- block the action of the latter on prostate cells, preventing their proliferation.
In 2009, scientists at Seoul Chunan University conducted a study in which 47 men with prostate adenoma took part.
The men were divided into groups, with one of the groups given a placebo, and the other – pumpkin seed oil in a very small dose – only 320 mg per day.
Within 3 months, patients in the second group experienced a significant reduction in symptoms such as pain and urinary retention, while the subjects receiving the placebo experienced no change.
The researchers also found that those who took pumpkin seed oil had a marked decrease in prostate-specific antigen, a blood marker that reflects the risk of adenoma and prostate cancer.
Research has proven that pumpkin seed oil is a potent treatment for BPH, and its effectiveness can be clearly seen even with small doses.
The prostate grows up to 25 years of age, reaching a mass of 20 grams. After 45 years, its growth resumes and reaches 30 grams, which is the norm. Pathology is considered to be an unhealthy enlargement of the prostate, which occurred in a short period of time and significantly exceeded the normal range.
Effect of pumpkin seed oil on prostatitis
Nonbacterial chronic prostatitis, also called chronic pelvic pain syndrome, is the most common and difficult to treat form of the disease. 9 out of 10 men with prostatitis have this form of the disease.
However, prostatitis and adenoma are similar diseases, so pumpkin seed oil copes well with this ailment. The richest supply of phytosterols, as well as antioxidants, anti-inflammatory substances, and fatty acids, reduces inflammation of the prostate.
And, first of all, the therapeutic effect is achieved thanks to vitamin E, oleic and linoleic acids in the composition of the product.
For pumpkin seeds to really help with these diseases, follow two simple guidelines:
- exclude spicy foods, poultry, caffeine, and alcohol from the diet;
- be physically active, even a daily hour of walking will be of great benefit.
In the presence of prostatitis and prostate adenoma, you cannot self-medicate. Treatment methods, including taking pumpkin seed oil, should be discussed with your doctor.
What else is pumpkin seed oil capable of?
This product is useful not only for men, but its additional effects are also associated with a rich composition.
Pumpkin seed oil is 100% fat. There are no proteins and carbohydrates in it, so the glycemic index of the product is zero.
It is quite high in calories – 1 tsp. oil weighing 5 g contains almost 50 kcal.
Pumpkin seed oil is a rich natural source of acids such as:
- other unsaturated fatty acids, including omega-3 and omega-6.
In addition, the product is rich in antioxidants, 2A, E, and K contain the trace element selenium and the already mentioned phytosterols.
All this provides the following effects:
1. When taken daily, the symptoms of an overactive bladder, namely frequent urination, urinary incontinence, and nocturia, are dramatically reduced.
Due to its fatty and antioxidant composition, the oil:
- lowers 2levels ;
- has an anti-inflammatory effect;
- normalizes blood pressure.
3. When applied topically, it is an effective treatment for urethritis.
4. During menopause and menopause in women, reduces hot flashes, headaches, and joint pain.
5. Due to its complex action on the body, pumpkin seed oil generally improves mood and reduces depression.
How to buy quality pumpkin seed oil?
1. You will get the maximum benefit from cold-pressed pumpkin seed oil. You can buy it at pharmacies. Don’t confuse it with regular cooking oil, which is obtained from roasted seeds.
2. Sunlight will spoil the product. Therefore, buy oil in dark glass bottles.
3. Remember that pumpkin seed oil comes in only three colors – black, dark brown, and dark green.
4. The taste of the product is very rich, nutty.
How to properly consume pumpkin seed oil?
- To improve the condition of the prostate gland, it is quite enough to consume only 1 g of pumpkin seed oil per day. But if you consume a teaspoon of the product, nothing bad will happen – you will get even more benefits.
- Some experts recommend taking pumpkin seed oil on an empty stomach, a teaspoon half an hour before meals – this way it is better absorbed and in addition helps to get rid of parasites. However, this practice can only be carried out after consulting a doctor.
- Never fry in pumpkin seed oil – the temperature will kill all the benefits, destroy phytosterols and vitamins, and carcinogens will appear instead.
- Pumpkin seed oil will add divine taste and aroma to any salad. The product is popular in the Balkan countries and central Europe. It is added to sauces, dressings, vegetable and meat dishes.
Store an open bottle of oil only in the refrigerator.