Happy Saturday, y’all! For many of us, summer is winding down and the start of another school year is just around the corner. While I thoroughly enjoy the slower pace of summertime and the freedom that comes with a more flexible schedule, I also get excited to jump back into certain routines. My favorite routine, of course, is more regimented meal planning. I know, as I was typing that I realized how unfun and drill sergeant-y it sounds, but meal planning actually eliminates a lot of stress (not to mention money and weight-gain) that can often surround the eternal question: “What’s for dinner?” With that said, my husband and I typically plan about 3-5 meals a week to cook at home, (and yes–we take turns!) However, we leave it pretty flexible in case anything out-of-the-ordinary pops up, which happens more often that not. Also, we always try make extra so lunch is taken care of, too. I’m sure when we add members to our clan one day, this “plan” will look very different, but for the newlywed, cooking-for-2 phase of life, it definitely works!
One of my favorite recipes that I’ve fine-tuned over the years is this delicous sesame and cashew chicken stir-fry. It is studded with juicy bits of pineapple, savory broccoli florets and ruby red peppers, and can be thrown together in less than 40 minutes, perfect for any weeknight. Buen provecho!
Sesame Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
Recipe Type: The Main Event
Serves: 4-5 servings
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium)
- 1 Tablespoon chili garlic sauce (huy fong)
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon peanut butter (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup frozen (or fresh) pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup cashews, raw and unsalted
- green onions, chopped
- Whisk to combine first 7 ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large wok or skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add chikcen, cooking 6-7 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of sauce that you set aside and bring to a boil until it thickens, about 3 minutes or so.
- Remove chicken (with sauce) into large serving bowl that you will be using.
- Add 1 more Tablespoon sesame oil and cook red pepper about 2 minutes. Add broccoli and cook 3-5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup more sauce and bring to a boil again, about 3 minutes. Remove vegetables (with sauce) and add to chicken. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil over medium heat and add cashews and pineapple. Cook 1 minute, then add the remainder of the sauce and bring to a boil again. Add to chicken and vegetables.
- Stir to combine and garnish with more sesame seeds and sliced green onion. Serve hot over rice!