- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup olive oil, plus 2 Tablespoons
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste, plus one can water
- 1/2 cup red and/or green peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon hot sauce or to taste
- 1 or 2 Bay leaves
- Parsley for garnish
- 2 cups cooked rice
- In a large skillet, sauté peppers, onions, celery and garlic in 2 Tablespoons oil over medium heat until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl add shrimp, tomatoes (do not drain), lemon juice, Worcestershire, bay leaves, seasoning and zest. Set aside.
- Add flour and ⅓ cup oil to skillet. Whisk together over medium-low heat until bubbles form and mix slightly browns. Slowly add hot water a little at a time, whisking constantly to form a smooth paste or “roux”. Whisk in tomato paste plus the can of water.
- Reduce heat and add shrimp mixture. Simmer 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink and fully cooked.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Add hot sauce as desired. Spoon mixture over rice, garnish with dried parsley.