A tasty Creole style dish with shrimp in a thick and tomato based sauce with onions, celery and bell pepper along with some spicy hot sauce that is typically served over rice.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (optional)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or shrimp stock or chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (or 4 cups diced fresh ripe tomatoes)
- 1 cup shrimp stock or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce(or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deviened
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat, add the onions, celery and peppers, season with salt and cook until they are tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme and tomato paste and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the wine and deglaze the pan.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, creole seasoning bay leaves, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the shrimp and simmer until cooked, about 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste, remove from heat and serve over rice topped with the green onions.