Instead of Rice, we’re using Quinoa. regular fried rice is used with rice (HELLO!??!)…But substituting with quinoa, allows us to get more nutrition and protein from what used to be a completely “carb-only dish”…Healthier Fried “Rice”!
- Shrimp, raw, peeled & devined 16 oz
- Peppers, sweet, red, raw, fine dice, 1 cup
- Celery, raw, fine dice, 1 cup
- Scallions (Green Onions), raw, minced, 3 tbsp
- Garlic, minced, 3 cloves
- Ginger Root, minced,2 tsp
- Kikkoman Lite Soy Sauce, 2 tbsp
- Olive Oil, 2 tbsp
- Pepper, cracked black, 1 tbsp
- Chinese Five Spice, 1.5 tsp
- Whole Grain Quinoa, 1 cup
- Water, 1 cup
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth, 1 cup
- 1 garlic clove-crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- -Prepare quinoa according to package instructions – normally 2 parts liquid to 1 part quinoa. Bring to a boil the quinoa, water, low sodium chicken broth, garlic and 1/2 tsp salt. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low simmer, cover and cook on low heat until all liquid is absorbed and quinoa has sprouted open (tails showing). Make sure the quinoa is “more dry than wet” so the quinoa is fluffy and loose. Set aside to cool.
- -While quinoa is cooking, in a small bowl, marinate your shrimp in 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 tbsp cracked black pepper, and 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice. Stir well & set aside.
- -Prepare your vegetables and cut red bell peppers and celery into bite size pieces. Mince 2 Garlic cloves & half of the Ginger & half the scallions together to make an “asian persillade.”
- -In a large skillet, crush the remaining garlic clove & ginger and add the remaining oil to infuse it under medium low heat. When garlic & ginger begin to brown, remove, mince the fried garlic & ginger & add to persillade
- -Increase heat to high and add veggies. Stir fry for 1 minute. Add the persillade and stir for 30 seconds making sure garlic does not burn.
- -Add the marinated shrimp and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice, 1/2 tbsp of black pepper, 1/2 tbsp soy sauce.
- -Add cooked quinoa and stir fry 1 minute and then let the bottom cook for 20 seconds (this will brown the quinoa to add some crispy pieces, just like fried rice). Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning w/ remaining soy sauce, black pepper & Chinese five spice and stir fry for an additional minute. Add remaining scallions (green onions) and toss into mixture.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately. If youre going to save some for later, make sure to spread the quinoa evenly on a large plate so that it cools at the same rate.
- Makes 4 servings