Spicy Asian-Influences noodle dish adpated from the restaurant California Pizza Kitchen. Slight revisions from www.recipezaar.com recipe#121823 submtted by Sharon 123
- Kung Pao Sauce:
- 1/2 cup chicken broth *prefer lower sodium
- 3 tbs cornstarch
- 1/3 soy sauce *prefer kikkoman
- 3 tbs chili garlic sauce *prefer huy fong foods inc.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tbs toasted sesame oil
- Egg White-Cornstarch Mixture:
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1/2 olive oil plus 2tbs olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken breast, cut in 3/4″ cubes
- 10 whole chinese dried red chili peppers (don't eat)
- 1 cup unslated dry roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 3 cups coarsly-chopped scallions, greens & whites
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Recipe makes 6 servings
- To make kung pao sauce
- A. In med saucepan, whisk chicken broth and cornstarch until cornstarch is fully dissolved. Stir in all remaining sauce ingredients and brin to a boil over med-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 15-20 mins. Set aside.
- Make egg white-cornstarch mixture
- A. In mixing bowl, use a whisk to mix together egg whites, cornstarch, and salt until thoroughly blended; be careful not to beat them into a froth. Set aside.
- A. Bring a large pot of salted water to rapid boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, 8-10 minutes.
- B. Meanwhile, in large non-stick frying pan over high heat, heat olive oil for about 1 minute. Add the chicken pieces to the egg white- cornstarch mixture and toss to coat. Take care not to splatter, gently add the coated chicken to the pan and cook like a solid pancake until egg mixture sets. Then using a large spatula, carefully flip the ckicken pieces over together. With a large wooden sppon, gently separate the pieces.
- C. Gently stir the Chinese peppers and roasted peanuts into the pan. As soon as they darken in color (no more than 1 minute), stir in garlic and scallions. Once garlic begins to brown (no more than 30 seconds), add Kung Pao Sauce and toss carefully to coat all ingredients.
- D. When the pasta is ready, drain it well and in a large mixing or serving bowl, toss it thoroughly with the sauce. Serve family-style or transfer to individual serving plates, arranging chicken, vegetables, and peppers.